Monday, January 30, 2012

Music Industry Internship!

In the industry of music, whether we are talking: record labels, studios, publishers, licensing houses, etc, you need to pay your dues the old fashion way, work! When I say work, I mean getting dirty with it by running errands without complaint, helping around the office diligently, able to be seen and not heard yet helpful, among other things that are hard to swallow. I did 2 internships while finishing my degree at Bloomfield College, one at a production studio and another with a post-production house in mid-town(5 days a week). I did these while going to school with a minimum of 4 classes and a part-time job and I was already in my 30s, which is a disadvantage all by itself. Despite all of this I was humble, attentive, and always carried enthusiasm with me which help pay off in the end. The music industry is very small and there is always a strong possibility that you will run into someone you've worked with previously at some point in time.
With all that said I suggest you go after all internship possibilities with the same zeal you would a paying job. Conduct yourself in a way that is appropriate, helpful and humble to say the least, and take this opportunity to network at your internship in a way that won't damage you relationship with the business or the staff.
There is an opening with a record label in New York City for a music intern, click here to find out more. As with jobs I would apply promptly, since there are thousands of other students with the same goal in mind.
good luck